Skip to main content

FIGHTING CRIME ONE STORY AT A TIME


Justice comes in many forms, sometimes it can be a court hearing, a well deserved arrest of a criminal or merely your story being heard and written by a struggling freelance writer. Growing up in a world where justice is too expensive and unattainable by the minority groups, I realize that it’s my mandate as a young writer to offer it in its cheapest and most pure form; poetic justice. What every victim longs for in the tiresome and pathetic strife for justice is to simply be heard by someone.
Oppressive crime takes many forms but my pen, notebook, and ears have of recent got a particular inkling for domestic violence. In my world of literature and diction, I have assumed the position of a lawyer and the story I am about to tell to you; the jury, is my client’s.

NOWHERE TO RUN

Car rides on late Sunday nights in Kampala were once a beautiful experience we shared as family. Now, the good old days are long gone. One unforgettable Sunday night the atmosphere was tense and everyone was staring out the car windows hoping to get distracted by the passing trees and the moon closely following behind. The unoccupied seat in the car was a strong reminder of the mayhem that happened the night before.
The awkward silence was broken by a question posed by my youngest sister. In that moment I envied her youth because of the bravery that came along with it.
                  “Daddy, why did you hit mummy with a stick last night?”
The tension in the air was now visible and all of us were anxiously waiting to see how he would react to this innocent child and her innocent question. The elephant in the room had multiplied in size and could not be ignored any longer. To our surprise he burst into laughter and casually replied,
                  “She did something that I don’t like and I got angry.”
It’s been a year since our mother left and I am genuinely happy that she liberated herself from the chains of a toxic marriage. I only wish that she had been in the position to help us escape as well. If you were to look at our deranged family through the lens of an outsider, one wouldn’t be able to see the chaos; ours is a nightmare you have to live through in order to believe.
For a long time I was under the false impression that domestic violence can only be physical, after all you know what they say, “Sticks and bones may break my bones but words can’t do a thing.” Quite the contrary to this saying, our ‘father’ was able to not only break his marriage but also his children with words. He liked to call himself ‘Simba’; I guess it was another way to boost his ego. What I learnt about my father was that there was nothing he loved more than control and an ice-cold beer. The thing with controlling men in any society be it African or Western is that they mistake fear for respect forgetting that as much as people fear lions they wouldn’t hesitate to kill them if they wanted to.
For many years we were constantly living in fear even when our mother was around and so you can only imagine the atmosphere when she left. Things only got worse and the only highlight of the week was getting to our mother on Sundays for a couple of hours.
My sisters and I, after intentional monitoring of his character and a little research online had diagnosed our ‘father’ with extreme Bipolar Mental Disorder. One second he would be sharing a joke with us and the next he would be charging at us with a club in one hand - and I say this with no exaggeration at all. What this toxic behavior manifested in our home was constant anxiety. My sisters and I found ourselves walking on eggshells in our so called ‘home’ but at least there was hope. Our mom had landed a well paying job and had even bought her own house and car; the prospect of living with her in a peaceful ‘Simba’ free environment was becoming more real and that was all we needed to stay sane in the company of our ‘father’.
Things were looking brighter until corona happened. We weren’t able to visit our mom weekly because of the transport restrictions set by the government so we were literally locked up in the house with a mentally ill animal. At first, we distracted ourselves with home work or assignments and relied on our tolerance to keep us sane, but there’s only so much a human being can take at a time. It reached a point where the fate of our sanity and general psychological and emotional well being was bigger than a worldwide pandemic. Our small world comprising of five young girls was soon to crack under pressure.
After much persuasion from us, our mom walked thirty kilometres to the police station closest to our area of residence to file a child endangerment case against our ‘father’. Now, I won’t go into the details of our inefficient and ineffective police family units and child support centers but in the end not much changed.
My sisters and I took matters into our own hands and prepared to run away from home. We packed our books and few essential clothes and geared up to walk all the way to our mother’s home. Unfortunately we were caught in the act by yours truly; ‘Simba’ the tyrant and all doors to the house were reinforced with double-locks henceforth.
A few days later I was contacted by a social worker who claimed to have vital information for me as the eldest child in the house. The lady explained that she had had a conversation with our ‘father’ and told me that he said we were very happy and as a matter of fact enjoyed staying with him. I burst into laughter, utterly amused by such profanity but when I realized that I was the only one laughing I asked the lady,
                  “You don’t believe him, do you?”
I was replied with a long speech about how amiable and well respected a man our ‘father’ was and if any custody was to be given to my mother substantial evidence needed to be presented in the courts of law. Did I mention that because of the preventive measures put in place to fight the pandemic, courts had been partially closed? With all due respect to whoever may be insulted by this statement, law enforcement systems in Uganda are highly unreliable.
            So there we were, five young girls slapped across the face by the callous way of the world. The lock-down implemented by the government was extended for a year and indeed for that full year we did not see our mom nor hear from the police about our case. I kept in close contact with the social worker who only repeated that I needed evidence. We were living with a ticking time bomb disguised as a human being, and when we reported to the law enforcers they said they would intervene when the bomb exploded. And since there is hardly any ‘substantial’ or physical evidence for psychological abuse, we were forced to endure the presence and tyranny of the great ‘Simba’.
            The years went by and we each graduated from school and were able to leave the prison cell we had been locked up in by our ‘father’ never to return again. Then when the evening of his life had finally approached, he called for us and none of us answered.


It is for this reason that my client today chooses to file a case of Negligence of Duty against the Uganda Police Family Unit with that I, Kabera Angel; the applicant’s lawyer, rest my case.

Divine Designs Blue Pink Ombre Lady Justice Weighing Scales Drawing Vinyl Decal Sticker (4" Wide)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the "grown-ups" should have told us!

Marriage has been a universally acknowledged phenomenon that unites two people in love; and I must add that if all factors are kept constant, marriage is a beautiful thing.   Unfortunately, the definition of marriage has been tampered with over the years by archaic and misogynistic perceptions that have been passed down generations. One must recognize the fact that the meaning of marriage varies according to sex; in other words, girls and boys right from childhood are taught to see marriage differently. Since time immemorial, society has had it inculcated into the minds of all females that they can take all the paths that they want to as long as they keep in mind that they are bound to get married. We live in a patriarchy where people are taught that women can be all they want as long as it doesn’t draw too much attention towards them because God forbid a woman is more successful than a man. People want women to live within a box they have created for them. Any woman that chooses t

SILENCE WILL NOT HELP YOU HEAL!!

I AM I am Kabera – the one. I’m eighteen and I weigh 60 kilos/ 132.7 lbs. I never wear shirts without sleeves because I don’t like how flabby my arms are and when I go shopping I buy clothes three sizes larger because it makes me feel smaller. Being comfortable with my body image is a concept I have been trying to decipher for nearly half my life and as much as I’d like to blame my insecurities on society, I’ve come to realize that human reasoning faculties were never supposed to be relied on in the first place. I am Kabera Amahoro – the one who brings peace. It’s come to my attention that we seldom talk about mental health here in Uganda. I won’t claim to come from an extremely cultural background but strength is a huge part of African culture. This strength has nothing to do with what we have personally endured but rather the trials and tribulations of the thousands of great women and men that lived before us. In the eye of grand tragedies like decades of war, slavery and fam

Time to Think!

  In the words of a great poet, “my country is a badly taken selfie”. The angle isn’t right and neither is the lighting, the corrupt officials and street kids in the background distract the viewer from the beauty of the pearl which makes  the selfie not worth more than ten likes on Instagram. To make things worse, we have been hit by the second wave of the corona virus and news is circulating of an emergence of a mutation of the virus. Our socio-economic and political structures weren’t built to accommodate crises and the minds of our leaders do not have the capacity to adapt to the rapid changes effectively. At this point in time no amount of filters and photoshop could help fix this badly taken selfie of a country. “Man’s mind is his greatest literature.” I will confess that I have this short phrase tattooed on my heart right next to the quote from the book of Isaiah 1: 18. The ability to delight in the library of the mind is an underrated and unexplored phenomenon especially amongs