Skip to main content

A Match of Wits, or is it?


ASK YOUR GIRLFRIEND THE ECONOMIC IMPACT OF COVID-19 GLOBALLY AND LISTEN TO WHAT YOU ARE DATING.
It’s a normal not so normal Sunday afternoon in quarantine and I’m scrolling through status updates of my friends and family when I come across the most amusing meme I have read so far; it says, ‘Ask your girlfriend the economic impact of Covid-19 and listen to what you are dating.’ Seldom; very seldom, does one find such a high level of skillfully applied satire and social criticism on social media these days however intended or unintended it may be.
It is important to note that not everything is as it seems. Though the statement; I assume, was initially intended to mock the intelligence of the girlfriends in question, its authors have subconsciously questioned quite deeply the intention of human relationships in the world that we live in today. By simple logical deduction, this statement seems to imply that intelligence surpasses beauty in the world of love and courtship today. Does it really?
It is only human nature to be drawn towards what appeals to us visually more than that which doesn’t before we have understood what lies beneath the surface. I strongly believe that appearance is an illusion man has always and will always fall for and this cuts across all aspects of life. A man in want of a wife does not ask for her academic qualifications and IQ test scores at first sight but is rather inclined towards her outward appearance and how close it is to his definition of beauty. That explains why majority of the women today would much rather invest millions of shillings within their entire life span on cosmetics than books, research, online classes, world tours and self love amidst other activities that would better their disposition.
This is why I find it rather hypocritical when ‘boyfriends’ begin to ridicule their ‘girlfriends’’ intelligence and lack of knowledge of world affairs. One can only have what he demands so maybe next time when in search of a suitor don’t let beauty precede intelligence on your shopping list.
            To the girlfriends that know and those that don’t know the economic impact of Covid-19 in the world, do not be fazed by the ever changing standards and requests of your suitors. 
                          A lioness has never been compatible with a chameleon.



Comments

  1. Kabera this is really good. Your intricate yet simple writing provokes thought important issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intelligence and beauty, these two have always crossed paths at some point. I however like your take on the notion that “girlfriends” are no well acquainted with current affairs. Perception is key though, otherwise, tis a good read. Keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What the "grown-ups" should have told us!

Marriage has been a universally acknowledged phenomenon that unites two people in love; and I must add that if all factors are kept constant, marriage is a beautiful thing.   Unfortunately, the definition of marriage has been tampered with over the years by archaic and misogynistic perceptions that have been passed down generations. One must recognize the fact that the meaning of marriage varies according to sex; in other words, girls and boys right from childhood are taught to see marriage differently. Since time immemorial, society has had it inculcated into the minds of all females that they can take all the paths that they want to as long as they keep in mind that they are bound to get married. We live in a patriarchy where people are taught that women can be all they want as long as it doesn’t draw too much attention towards them because God forbid a woman is more successful than a man. People want women to live within a box they have created for them. Any woman that chooses t

SILENCE WILL NOT HELP YOU HEAL!!

I AM I am Kabera – the one. I’m eighteen and I weigh 60 kilos/ 132.7 lbs. I never wear shirts without sleeves because I don’t like how flabby my arms are and when I go shopping I buy clothes three sizes larger because it makes me feel smaller. Being comfortable with my body image is a concept I have been trying to decipher for nearly half my life and as much as I’d like to blame my insecurities on society, I’ve come to realize that human reasoning faculties were never supposed to be relied on in the first place. I am Kabera Amahoro – the one who brings peace. It’s come to my attention that we seldom talk about mental health here in Uganda. I won’t claim to come from an extremely cultural background but strength is a huge part of African culture. This strength has nothing to do with what we have personally endured but rather the trials and tribulations of the thousands of great women and men that lived before us. In the eye of grand tragedies like decades of war, slavery and fam

Time to Think!

  In the words of a great poet, “my country is a badly taken selfie”. The angle isn’t right and neither is the lighting, the corrupt officials and street kids in the background distract the viewer from the beauty of the pearl which makes  the selfie not worth more than ten likes on Instagram. To make things worse, we have been hit by the second wave of the corona virus and news is circulating of an emergence of a mutation of the virus. Our socio-economic and political structures weren’t built to accommodate crises and the minds of our leaders do not have the capacity to adapt to the rapid changes effectively. At this point in time no amount of filters and photoshop could help fix this badly taken selfie of a country. “Man’s mind is his greatest literature.” I will confess that I have this short phrase tattooed on my heart right next to the quote from the book of Isaiah 1: 18. The ability to delight in the library of the mind is an underrated and unexplored phenomenon especially amongs